Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL) Scientific Networking Division (ESnet) has an opening for a Full Stack Software Engineer to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will work in a collaborative, results-driven environment on a wide array of projects that support current and future network infrastructures. You will perform software development, implementation, testing and operational support of production software services for provisioning and managing the global network.
ESnet provides a high-speed network that links scientists at national laboratories, universities and other research institutions, enabling them to collaborate on some of the world's most important scientific challenges. Funded by the Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science and operated by the ESnet team at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, ESnet provides scientists with access to unique DOE research facilities and computing resources.
What You Will Do:
- Participates as a member of an interdisciplinary team in designing, implementing, testing, and maintaining production quality software underlying the current and next generation ESnet network, including:
- Automation to programmatically control the network at a high level of abstraction.
- Applications for network inventory, configuration, and service provisioning.
- Interdomain resource provisioning to enable cooperative sharing between global research and education networks.
- Participates on project teams to successfully develop and complete project scope, on time and within project budget.
- Using current development technologies and practices, independently writes software from user stories, specifications and designs.
- Recommends and leads implementation and deployment efforts for small projects and/or software improvements that enhance reliability, stability, usability, performance and security.
- Troubleshoots and solves problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience, and a minimum of five years of professional software engineering experience.
- Demonstrated experience designing, developing, and testing production-ready software using one or more of the following: Python, Java, and Golang.
- Familiarity with the macOS development environment, for deployment to a production Linux environment.
- Understanding of common data structures and algorithms.
- Familiarity with web APIs such as FastAPI, SOAP and REST.
- Experience with one or more database technologies and Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) technologies.
- Experience with messaging queue/bus technologies and workflow engines.
- Strong analysis and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and accurate documentation.
- Ability to quickly learn new software.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with networking technologies and layers 1, 2, and 3 network services.
- Demonstrated experience with automation tools and frameworks.
- Understanding of network topology concepts and working knowledge of standard topology models.
- Experience in the software defined networking problem space.
- Familiarity and experience with Agile software engineering practices that include testing, documentation, source code management (ideally GitLab and GitHub) and release procedures.
- Knowledge of Internet networking and protocols.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position will have multiple openings.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- This position will be remote initially, but limited to individuals residing in the United States tentatively until 2021 due to COVID-19. Once the Bay Area shelter-in-place restrictions are lifted, work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.