Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Sr. Software Engineer
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Plano, TX location in the Neuromodulation division.
Make an impact! At Abbott we’re empowering people to manage their health with digital health technologies. This opportunity directly supports Abbott’s Neuromodulation business, a fast-growing business, offering the most innovative Spinal Cord and Deep Brain Simulation platforms in the market. Abbott’s Neuromodulation business has a large Product Development site in Plano (Dallas), Texas, where this position is based. Abbott is creating groundbreaking high-quality products designed and built with the betterment of human life as the primary focus. It’s our people who make this all happen. We are thinkers, problem solvers, and innovators working together to constantly challenge the status quo.
The Sr. Software Engineer is responsible for assuring that the devices remain in line with business needs and requirements in their structure and function. Establishes and maintains technology standards, evaluates and directs new technology designs. Provides technical architectural expertise, playing a vital role in innovating, designing, enhancing, implementing and scaling application and wireless connectivity platforms. Works closely with the business to translate business requirements into system design that fit the overall business architecture. Designs frameworks and systems enabling effective realization of today’s and future business requirements. Drives engineering and architectural best practices broadly throughout the organization.
What You’ll Work On
- Responsible for defining and documenting the software architecture and abstracting the following from the implantable therapy engine: UI, Hardware, Remote Services, Wireless Connectivity
- Bring expertise in the abilities of software system design: scalability, reliability, extensibility, usability and be able to design a software architecture that enables them
- Research, requirements, architecture, and development of cross-platform Wireless Connectivity (WiFi, BT, BLE) and sensors system software with focus on high quality and secured wireless communication for implantable devices
- Create an architectural vision and implement the vision in an agile, fast moving environment
- Designs an architecture that implements best practices in privacy and security and meeting healthcare requirements for worldwide regulations, e.g. FDA, TUV etc
- Knowledge of medical device development standards and processes (ISO 13485, IEC 62304 etc.)
- Assesses complex technical challenges, defines the solutions required to operationalize the business imperatives
- Works with cross-functional teams, product management, development, quality and operations to create innovative operating alternatives that form the overall strategy and business architecture
- Engage non-technical business stakeholders to understand business needs to define technical architecture requirements and innovate next generation products.
- Interface with 3rd party software companies to integrate, optimize and stability platform system software
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other related technical field. Master's degree or PhD in a technical field preferred.
- 2+ years of experience as a Software Developer/Architect with software built using technologies such as Java, Python, C#, C++, C, and HTML.
- Knowledge of IOS, Android, and .NET platforms.
- Experience with development on mobile platforms.
- Strong experience in multi-threading, databases, unit testing, integration testing.
- Demonstrated foundation in Computer Science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design
- Demonstrated knowledge of Android and iOS mobile application development.
- Understanding and significant work experience with various SDLC methodologies including Agile /Scrum
- Experience with requirements analysis and technical design and documenting
- Significant experience with security architecture and engineering
- Solid verbal, written, and interpersonal skills with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization. Excellent communication and relationship skills, especially the ability to articulate advanced technical topics to non-technical individuals
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects
- Ability to contribute to multiple projects/demands simultaneously
- Ability to work both within a team, and independently, in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Very strong technical leadership and ability to constantly build, leverage and influence large network of senior technology and business experts across a large, diverse enterprise, and outside: vendors, standards bodies, analysts, and academia
- Have a demonstrated desire and ability to learn i.e. certifications, continued formal education etc.
- Desire to use AI and other software tools to enhance current software development
- Ability to use field data to influence decision making
- Interest in understanding and influencing software regulatory guidance and design controls
- Passion for the human physiology with emphasis on neurophysiology
- Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
The base pay for this position is $71,300.00 – $142,700.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.